Sunday, October 2, 2011

Safari #38: How Do You Like These Apples?

With the freedom to use public transportation and access to walkable, open spaces, the thought of getting behind the wheel has simply become foreign.  I'm realizing however that there are many beautiful places in Massachusetts, and by staying only in the greater Boston area, my safaris are missing out.

My recent articles on apple picking and fall foliage have inspired me to get out of the house.  This past Sunday, I jumped in the car and headed to Lookout Farm in South Natick.  Founded in 1650, the farm  is believed to be the oldest working farm in the country.  The farm includes a store, children's play area, concession stand, and a pick your own orchard that includes apples, pears, peaches, and pumpkins.  It was idyllic, picturesque, and a great way to spend a warm Fall day.

Best of all - the apples.  I picked Jonagold and Golden Delicious.  They are large, crisp, and simply perfect.  Which orchards have you been to recently?  Tell me about your trip in the comments below.

Tips:
  • Find a Farm Near You.  There are a number of pick your own farms in Massachusetts.  Visit the pick your own website to locate a farm near you.
  • Choose Your Shoes Carefully.  The orchard was damp and muddy in some areas.  Boots or comfortable shoes are the best for making your way around.
  • Cost.  Prices per pound vary, and some farms also charge admission. Despite the cost, go for the experience.  I was reminded of my childhood in Ohio on the family farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment