Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Safari #90: Boston Public Garden Swan Boats

In the seven years I've been a Bostonian, I have never taken a Swan Boat ride in the Public Garden (smh, and you're probably shaking yours too). 

Now I can say I have, and I can also say that it was really enjoyable.  I should have done it a long time ago.  The weather was perfect and the ducks and nesting swans were enjoying the lagoon just as much as we were.

The Boston Swan boats have been continuously running and operated by the Paget family since 1877; the boats are a uniquely Boston experience, and for $3 per person ($1.50 for children), it's accessible to anyone who wishes to partake.  It's an easy activity for families, seniors, and visiting guests.

My Tips
  • Visit the Gibson House First.  Back Bay residents from the 1860's did not have sprawling back yards for a reason - the Public Garden was created for strolling and time spent outdoors.  The Gibson House will give you a great look into the lives of wealthy Boston residents through architecture, decoration, and daily living.  When you're done touring the house, visit the Public Garden and take a Swan Boat ride to do exactly as they did.
  • Don't Let Waiting in Line Make Your Decision. Waiting in line for a swan boat ride is fairly common and may turn those away who think they'll be waiting a long time.  On the day of my ride, there were close to 30 people in front of me, but it only took 15 minutes or so to get onto a boat.
  • Pack a Picnic.  If the weather is nice and you're able to plan ahead, pack a picnic lunch and enjoy the Public Garden like a Bostonian does.  On the day of my ride, it was awesome to see so many people out enjoying the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment