Jamaica Plain's Arnold Arboretum is the perfect place for solitude, walking/jogging or even bird watching. This urban oasis is easily accessible via car or the T (Forest Hills on the Orange Line).
One of the best views is available at the top of Peters Hill. It's the perfect spot for reflection and catching a breeze after a brief climb.
- Be Aware of the Rules. Despite its size, the Arboretum does not allow picnicking of any kind. Take a few moments to read through park policies before your visit.
- Wear Comfortable Shoes - the Arboretum has paths of varying degree - smooth pavement, dirt, and gravel. Be sure to wear comfortable and supportive shoes that will handle all sorts of terrain.
- View the Bonsai Trees - the Bonsai collection sits within a wooden pavilion with large slots allowing you to view the plants from the outside.
Things to Do
- Check out a Tree Mob - want to learn more about trees? Then try a tree mob - these scheduled events will teach you about specific trees and you'll meet new people while you're at it. Sounds like a great activity for the tree geeks in all of us.
- Lilac Sunday - every year, do you always find yourself asking, "What should I do with Mom for Mother's Day?" Well, the Arboretum has your answer. Lilac Sunday is a wonderful event celebrating both Mother's Day and blooming lilacs. Food trucks are usually available as well for this special event.