With two visits to compare plus the fact that there is now a New Wing, I have to say that a First Friday night out is well worth it.
Well-heeled Bostonians gather in the main lobby of the New Wing for cocktails, nibbles and free form dancing. Folks attend to see, be seen, and get down - yes, the area in front of the main speakers turns into an impromptu dance floor towards the end of the night.
After you enjoy your cocktails, don't forget to take a stroll through the galleries. The galleries are unusually quiet at this time, allowing you truly stroll through at your leisure. First Fridays are also a great time to check out new exhibits given the smaller crowds.
- Get Tickets Early. Via the MFA website, you can get your tickets in advance rather than waiting in line the night of the event. Tickets are $25. Members can attend for free.
- Bring Cash. The bars only accept cash, so if you plan to enjoy a few rounds, make sure you have enough cash on hand to do so.
- Dress Up. Putting on the ritz with a cocktail in hand is fun and so is people watching.
- Flirt. Yes, if you are single and looking to mingle, this is truly your place to do it. I was surprised at the number of singletons who weren't at all the least bit shy.
- Watch Yourself. Don't forget that you are in a museum. Enjoy the art, respect the patrons, and don't be a hot mess with your cocktails - wait until your next destination if you can't help yourself.