This is the mantra of the South End Open Market (SOWA) located at 460 Harrison Avenue in Boston's South End. Open mid-May through late October, this market highlights handmade goods by local artists ranging from housewares and furniture to clothing and accessories. Recently added to the lineup is the vintage market.
If you're on the hunt for handmade or vintage goodies, check out the booths I visited during my recent trip to get some great local (and regional) flavor:
- Lola's Urban Vintage (187 Harvard Ave in Allston) - the day's offerings included a great selection of late 70's and early to mid 80's jewelery. Many items were priced under $10.
- FidgetFinds (Rhode Island) - Tons of accessories including a great selection of day and evening bags.
- Calico (New Bedford, MA) - Great stuff all around. I couldn't pass up the sunglasses.
- Escama Studio (Arlington, MA) - Are you a fan of recycled items made into something new? If yes, check out Escama's merchandise (and my soda can top handbag).
Some tips before visiting SOWA:
- Try your luck at bargaining with the vendors - most times, they are willing to lower the price ;)
- Hit the ATM. While many vendors accept credit cards, some only accept cash.
- Food Trucks. If you're hungry, head to one of the many food trucks available. Most of these are also cash only.